Mount Kazbek is one of the highest and the most beautiful peaks of the Caucasus. The Kazbek Region is located at the eastern end of Central Caucasus and is an almost independent mountain system. The region is made up of several prominent mountain ridges, which spread out like the fingers of a hand northwards into the Dagestan Highlands and only in one place, at the watershed of the two big rivers of Ardon and Terek, link up with the Main Ridge of the Caucasus.
Here, between the upper stretches of these rivers, rise numerous important 4000 ers. Close to the prominent 4780 m Jimarai-Khokh, rises the dominating volcanic cone of Kazbek, at 5033 m the highest peak in the region. The mountain was first climbed in 1868 by a partly led by Douglas Freshfield. The summit provides fantastic views of the Caucasian peaks stretching westwards to Elbrus for 200 km.
Program of 8–days tour. Summer 2020:
Day 1 Meeting at airport Tbilisi. Please, arrive before 12:00. Group transportation to the town of Stephantsminda, former Kazbegi (1700 m). The way from the airport takes 3-3,5 hours. Walk to the highest operating ortodox church in the world - Tsminda Sameba. Night in a guest house.
Day 2 Carry to the high camp at 3680 m (4 - 5 hours by walking). Return to Stephantsminda or overnight in the tents at camp 3000 m.
Day 3 Today we move to the hut at 3680 m. Accommodation at the mountain refuge (subject to availability) or at the double tents.
Day 4 Acclimatization hike to the glacier at 4400 m. Here the guide will teach you how to walk in crampons and how to use an ice-axe. Overnight at the hut (tents).
Day 5 Summit day. We start early in the morning and come back to the hut after 11 - 12 hours. Overnight at the hut (tents).
Day 6 Reserve day in case of bad weather in the previous day. Return to Stephantsminda.
Day 7 Reserve day. Transportation to the ancient town of Mtskheta which is located only 4 km from Tbilisi. Accommodation at hotel.
Day 8 Return flight from Tbilisi.
Price per person for guided groups:
995 EUR€ per person
The cost includes:
- All transfers according to itinerary;
- guest house in Stephantsminda, shared double or triple rooms, meals included;
- hut or double tents at the High Camp (3680 m), meals and cook included;
- 3* hotel in Mtskheta, double rooms, no meals;
- English-speaking guides in ratio 1:3 on the summit day;
- Group equipment: tents, ropes, radios;
- Porters for the group equipment.
The cost does not includes:
- Flight tickets to Tbilisi;
- Mountaineering insurance (you can order it by us for EUR 6 per day with coverage of EUR 30.000);
- Porter services for carrying personal equipment;
- Taxi from Mtskheta to Tbilisi (only 4 km) on Day 8.